From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1993 23:35:26 -0500
I was asked to post the following by someone on GEnie who does not have
internet access.  (I've been volunteered to upload the FML there).  Bill
--- begin forwarded post ---
Item    0493955                 93/03/07        17:13
From:   D.VANDENBROU                    David A. Vandenbroucke

This is a reply for the ferret mailing list, concerning "Bill
Goldberg's" posting about cages:

Bill Goldberg:

Please provide references for the "studies" that show that keeping
ferrets in cages reduces their lifespans by half.  I find that
assertion impossible to believe.  If anything, I would think that
caged ferrets would live longer than uncaged.  Ferrets are far too
curious and intelligent to be allowed to run around a house
unsupervised.  There are many ways that they can find to hurt
themselves, as the stories of ferrets trapped in walls, ingesting
plastic, chewing on electrical cords, being crushed by recliners,
etc., attest.  Cats aren't nearly as good at getting into trouble as
ferrets.  I certainly don't advocate leaving ferrets in their cages
all the time, but I see nothing wrong with keeping them there when
we're sleeping or not at home.  If there is specific evidence that
this is harmful, I'd like to see it.

--Dav
---end forwarded post---