From:
Rachel Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 1994 09:42:36 -0500
Hi all,
>OK, why do some people choose to have ferrets in FFZ's?  I >agree, they
>should be legal.  The propaganda is false.  But why risk it?

Good question, I think. I got my ferret in NH when NH was still FFZ from
someone who chose not to keep her when they found out it was illegal. She was
taken to a vet for euthansia, but the vet could not bring himself to do it
and so found me. I had no previous knowlege of ferrets but have always taken
in strays. Once I had her, I couldn't give her up! Then I moved to Mass, also
FFZ, and just kept quiet. Fortunately, she was healthy until the very end of
her long life, but I found a vet willing to treat her. After she died, I
decided not to get another because of the stress of keeping her hidden, and
because the vet really took a risk for us even though he/she was
uncomfortable about it. As soon as they are legal here, I will be first in
line for at least 2, maybe 3.

>Can anybody think of a reason why Rusty, an apparently >healthy 3-pound
>7-month-old male, would have lost the ends of all his whiskers on oneside?

Pamela, do you have cats? One of my cats sometimes snicks off whiskers of my
other cats during grooming sessions. I don't know why.

Re suitable toys, I wanted to re-post a story I sent a while back about an
experience my ferret and I had with a rubber ball. I don't know if it was
ever posted or not. What happened was I gave my little girl a 2" diameter
hard rubber ball with a bell inside. I thought it was safe because it was
big. But, she got her teeth stuck in it and couldn't open her mouth wide
enough to let go. Very scary. I finally got it off by carving it, all the
while sure I'd break her jaw. So, **no hard rubber toys** is my two cents
worth.

Here is a funny thing my ferret used to to do: I have a camel saddle that I
use as a little stool. It's decorated with bells on strings. My Ferret would
run under the stool and bump the bells , but to do this she had to sort of
bump herself up a little at just the right time to hit the bell as she went
through. Very cute.

I love hearing everyone's stories about cute things. It helps me remember my
little girl's antics. And yes, she snored.
Rachel from Martha's Vineyard Island