From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 1994 10:48:10 -0500
To Leigh Ann -

>Think nice thoughts toward my little 3-yr old Peri, who's getting her hyper
>adrenal gland removed in the morning.  How long does it usually take for the
>fur to start growing back?  Dr. Williams?

        Leigh Ann - that depends on the ferret, and how long the animal has been
in a hyperestrogenic state.  Estrogen causes atrophy of the hair follicles in
affected animals.  Depending on how long the follicles have been under the
influence of estrogen, hair regrowth can start as quickly as a week, or may wait
6 months until the next shedding cycle to regrow.

        In animals that are treated early, 2-4 weeks is usually when noticeable
hair regrowth occurs.

Bruce Williams, DVM