From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1993 14:21:21 -0500
    Well, just when I think I know the limit of ferret strangeness, Cassie
surprises me again. Yesterday (being Halloween) I had a jack-o-lantern set
out with a candle burning in it. I looked away for a second, and when I turned
back Cassie was on the table, leaning her head down inside the jack-o-lantern
an inch or two from the flame. She seemed totally captivated, and not in the
least bit of discomfort, but I rushed over and pulled her out. I held my hand
over the pumpkin, and it was hot (and she had stuck her head way *inside*,
so it must have been even hotter for her). I took a look at her to see if
she was alright; she seemed to be in fine spirits, but I saw several of her
whiskers were singed. There was even one lying in the pumpkin that had been
singed right off! Oh well, I've often burned the hair on my hands when using
the heat gun at work, without it hurting my skin. I'm sure Cassie would have
backed off if it got too hot. Wouldn't she? Then again, both Buddy and Cassidy
have often tried to lean up on the oven door when I pull out some freshly
cooked item. Don't they know hot=pain? I'll never understand ferrets. :)

John, Buddy, and Cassidy