From:
Mike Davison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1993 11:54:35 -0400
I have been through almost 300 "back issues" and really can't seem
to find any answers.  Lots of mentions though.

Anyhow, one of our ferrets was just diagnosed with an insulinoma.

She will be two in December so she seems a little young.  She is a
Marshall Farms ferret if it matters.

Her glucose was only 40.  We have Prednisone and Proglycem to give
to her to get that back up.  I am heading off to get some Nutrical
as soon as my daughter wakes up.

The vet basically gave us two choices.  One is to do surgery.  Her
chances of having it reoccur are 90%.  This seems extremely high
to me.  Cost of surgery is $150.  The second choice is just to give
her the medicine and eventually she will die.

Another exciting fact he gave us was that 50% of ferrets with the
insulinomas also have adrenal gland tumors.

Of course she isn't eating well.  Laps up Linatone (which she doesn't
usually do) and drinks a lot of water.  She is emaciated, and has
a little trouble going up the stairs - in the hind end.  Drooling
sometimes, but not all the time - she looks like she is foaming at
the mouth.

I trust the vet.  He's a good guy and even talks to Kawasaki every
couple of weeks or so - seems to be very knowledgeable about ferrets
(Dr. Mark Finkler is his name - Chip recommended him to me).

I guess the question is what should I do?  The prognosis seems very
bleak - 10% chance of it not reoccurring!

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Michelle