From:
Christian Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1993 02:35:32 -0400
I read the piece on the New Hampshire health warning, and I think I
found the book that they took the text from.  I found this book in my
local library:

Killer Animals by Edward R. Ricciuti
Published in 1976 by Walker Publishing Co., Inc.  (U.S.)
Fitzhenry & Whiteside (Canada)

On page #185: (taken without permission)

     Among other small mammels that people sometimes keep as pets is the
ferret, which is the domesticated version of the European polecat
(Mustela putorius).  Ferrets still retain many of the characteristics of
their wild relatives, although they normally can be handled with ease.
Because of the damage they could do to small game, however, many states
forbid people to keep ferrets, but in the past they were used
extensively to hunt rabbits and rats.  Even in places where possession
of ferrets is permitted, it is not at all wise to allow them the run of
the house, as some people do.  The late Lee S. Crandall of the Bronx Zoo
once told me that a bite by a pet ferret was one of the worst animal
bites he had ever seen.  The ferret, he said, was owned by a family
which had a small child.  One day while the child was sleeping, the
ferret slipped into the youngster's room, and tore off much of the
child's face.
     This is not to say that when under the strictest supervision
children should not be allowed to touch ferrets.  Indeed, they make
excellent demonstration animals for lessons on natural history.  But,
after all, the ferret is a weasel with all the savagery of that tribe of
animals, and even in domestication has functioned primarily as a killer
of other creatures.

End Quote.

I live in New York State and here is another quote at the bottom of the
"Ferret License Application"

Warning From the New York State Health Department

As a prospective purchaser of a pet ferret you need to be aware that
ferrets may for some unknown reason attack humans, especially babies and
young children.  There have been reports, in this state as well as
across the country, of ferrets crawling into cribs and inflicting
multible bites on babies.  They have also without warning, attacked
young children sitting or playing on the floor.  If you have a baby or
young children in your home it is essential that if you purchase a
ferret it must be kept in a secure cage at all times.
     In addition, although rabies in ferrets is rare (there have only
been six (6) reported cases since 1980) they are susceptible to this
virus and there is no licensed rabies vaccine for ferrets.  Should your
ferret be involved in a biting incident, your health department would
require that it be killed and submitted to a laboratory to rule out
rabies.

End Quote.

Not to take up too much more space, Chris...  I've been reading the FML
for about a month and a half now, and finally have subscribed.  I have a
ferret that was born in the first week of April (1st) 1993.  Her name is
Feasel, and she is the cutest thing you've ever seen.  Um, and one more
question:  What is a FFZ?  Thanks...

                                         Christian Miller