From:
Roger McMillian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1993 04:55:59 -0400
Katie:
        Sorry, I'd forgotten that not all of our friends here get or read
rec.pets. Clarifications follow :

Dahm as Director of the Greater Chicago Ferret Association Shelter.
        (1) THE SHELTER HAS NOT CLOSED. We recently took in our 1400th ferret!
(That is not to say that we have adopted that many out, however. Sadly, some
come to us in such poor condition that even the skilled hands of our vets can't
prevent death from taking them.) Others were euthenized to shorten their
suffering. And still others...
        (2) Our records indicate that while Mary Van Dahm was shelter director,
39 ferrets were euthanized for being biters. Since her resignation, NO FERRETS
HAVE BEEN EUTHANIZED FOR BITING. This is not to say that (a) we haven't had any
biters since she resigned, or that (b) the rest of the shelter staff hasn't
worked long and hard to rehabilitate biters. We have always maintained AND
PROVEN that biters could be rehabilitated. Several of our volunteer staff have
worked with and fostered ferrets that were problem biters.  Shortly after Mary
resigned, we took in six ferrets from a confiscation at a ferret breeder, a few
of which were extreme biters. Careful and constant handling have won several of
these over. I worked with one and ended up adopting him. (I should also mention
that there is a law in Illinois and several other states that requires the
"sacrifice" of any ferret that has not been vaccinated for rabies. Some states
will still sacrifice them even if they HAVE been vaccinated! )
        (3) Records also indicate that while Mary Van Dahm was shelter
director, seven ferrets were sent into ferret free zones. Five of these were
returned to the person from whom they were taken. While the GCFA actively
supports the efforts of our fellow ferret fanciers to legalize the keeping of
ferrets in their states and municipalities, it is a matter of written shelter
policy that we do not adopt to persons in ferret-free zones. Since Mary's
resignation NO ferrets have been adopted (or returned to) persons in ferret
free zones.
        (4) In 1988 and 1993, ferrets were sent to research facilities. Since
Mary's resignation, NO ferrets have been sent to research facilities.

        Sorry if this was wordy, but it was the best I could do towards
clearing the air.
------
Chris - I'm going to use your article about FML as part of part 2 of my series
on "The Electronic Ferret". There's a possibility that it may be published in a
BBS user's publication. Dunno which yet.
------
ALL - I'll send the info on the GCFA ferret show in another issue.
 - Roger

 |Roger.McMillian           | Director, Greater Chicago Ferret Association |
 [log in to unmask]  | Editor "Off the Paw" (GCFA Newsletter)       |
 [log in to unmask] | Moderator"Ferret Forum" Echomail Conference  |
 YOU CAN TAKE AWAY MY FERRETS | SUPPORT THE EFFORTS TO LEGALIZE FERRETS IN
 WHEN YOU CAN PRY THEM  LOOSE | ALL STATES AND LOCAL AREAS. IT'S EVERYONE'S
 FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!    | FIGHT UNTIL IT'S EVERYON'E RIGHT!