From:
Jason Creager <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1993 05:05:47 -0400
        Hey, guys!  You've never seen me post before, but I've been reading the
FML for three or four months now via a Fidonet gateway.  I've tried to post
several messages, but they just haven't gotten through, so this may be a first!
 (Chris, although I'm using a different system to post, please keep my
subscription address the same.)

[Coulda sworn some of your earlier messages got through.]

        I've got two altered ferrets: one albino male (Fosgate) and one sable
female (Rockford).  Fosgate seems to be quite picky about trying new things.
He used to never eat treats, until he saw Rockford enjoying a lovely chicken
flavored Pounce.  When I made a hammock for their cage, he was completely
uninterested, until he saw her get in it.  Now, it's his favorite plae to be.
(If you don't have a hammock, they're really easy to make, if you know someone
with a sewing machine!)

        The little girl will steal someone's shoes, once she gets to know them,
while Fosgate will only steal one pair of my girlfriend's leather sandles, but
Fosgate likes to pry the lids off of boxes and get inside and  then get back
out, while Rockford doesn't seem to.

        On ferret proofing, one place I've never seen anyone mention is the
kitchen cabinets, specifically, the space between the floor and the cabinets
which is usually open enough for a pet store ferret to climb through.  My dad
puts screen wire down there, but most people don't.  Fortunately, there is no
poison or anything down there (not that these guys would eat it anyway, being
as picky as they are!).  :-)

        A friend of mine works at the local newspaper and gets me the heavy
duty cardboard tubes that are the centers of rolls of newsprint.  They're
*great* ferret toys and are completely chew proof.  (I'd hate to meet any
ferret that could chew through half inch super high density cardboard!)
They've got metal ends, so no fuzzy could chew off bits and pieces.  If anyone
would like one, I'd be happy to ship one freight collect or freight prepaid (by
sending me $$$).  I don't know the rules about posting my home phone or
address, so I'll wait to do that.

        Anyway, enjoy the summer!  Take 'em crawlin'!

Jason, Allison, Fosgate, and Rockford
from Springfield, MO, just north of Branson, the richest city in the world