From:
Chris Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1993 20:40:24 -0400
The FAQ you see is the one for the FML.  We do, obviously, need
a "combined wisdom" FAQ on ferret care that we can supply on
request to new users.  This would be something archived on the
LISTSERV so that people can retrieve it at arbitrary times.

I've been meaning to do something about this for some time, but
it's a big chunk of time to do the job decently.

Is there anybody who would like to take on this job?  I have a number
of pieces that can be editted together and will be a good start.

Ie: about a year ago, Jenny Au wrote up what can best be described
as veterinary instructions for ferret vaccinations.  I have many
other odds and ends that might be useful, but are not in a
publishable state yet.

Chip?  Do you remember that FAQ you ran past me about a year
ago?  Do you think it appropriate that we fix it up and use it?

It seems to me best to create several parts - one on routine care/
feeding/resources/books, Jenny's on vaccinations, ferret law, and
others where we have a wealth of detail.  Sukie's posting above
about Cushings is fantastic - just like everything else she writes.

It's a fairly big job, and at the moment I have absolutely no time
for it - I found out yesterday I'm going to be in Japan next
Wednesday for two weeks - the FML will be going on auto-pilot
shortly....

As a preliminary suggestion, someone could take on the job of
coordinator of the whole works, and others could take on the
responsibility for individual chunks.  Aside from some formatting
issues, and final review, I'd stay out of the loop.  Once produced,
we can coordinate updates from here (or the coordinator's machine),
and place them on the LISTSERV for retrieval.

Formatting: they should be formatted as a digest - rather like the
FML itself - a string of hyphens, and Subject: lines (see my
wirefaq/mailfaq/textfaq for examples), plus a table of contents
up at the top.

Any takers?  Respond to the list please and we'll see what shakes
out.  Once a coordinator is picked, I'll sned the stuff I already have.

Incidentally, each FML issue is now down to four copies being
sent by my machine.  Until last night it was eight.  A couple
of issues ago it was 60.  A fifteen-fold decrease in operating
costs....  Thanks Bill!