Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The Ferret Mailing List (FML)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 1994 10:18:19 -0500
I posted some info about Linatone/Ferretone dosages in a fairly recent
issue of the FML (don't remember the issue #), but here it is again.  This
is a quote from Lenny Southam, DVM, who is the veterinary manager of the
CompuServe Pets/Animals Forum.  It came up in an online ferret conference
we did there last year.

"[I] can't find toxic levels of A in ferrets. 500U/day is used in mink for
correction of deficiencies and it's prolly similar in ferrets. i'd be
conservative about its use as a treat in ferrets to stay on the safe side.
you can produce toxicity in cats at about 1000 times recommended doses or
20000-40000 ug/kg/day over several months to years. And for Troy... toxic
dose in rabbits is about 190,000 U/KG sorry for it all at once and there
isn't much info...that's what you get with tapcis.  ann said that linatone
has 1500U/teaspoon so normal daily requirement in mink is 1/3 teaspoon.
would take more than that to be toxic."

Michelle, I would say 4 squirts of Ferretone a day, even diluted, is more
than they really need.  IMO, Ferretone should be used as a treat and as a
training aid.  If your ferrets are getting a good quality dry cat or
kitten food, the vitamins in Ferretone are not necessary.

Katie Fritz
CompuServe Small Mammals Section (S11) Co-Leader, Pets/Animals Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]   CompuServe: 71257,3153