Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The Ferret Mailing List (FML)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Teri Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 1994 08:47:09 -0500
I'm quite new to this list and really have never had anyone to talk to
regarding our ferret, Lima.  So, of course I have only about a million
questions, since I have basically "raised" my ferret with little to no
knowledge of them!

We got our ferret when he was two years old, and he's about
9 years old now.  Lima's always had run of the "computer room", where
he's mostly "behaved" himself (eg... never tried to chew on wires, etc.).
He's quite the escape artist and frequently ends up under our living room
couch.  BUT... despite what I have heard, I have never been able to
completely "litter box" train him!  When we first got him, we would give
him tiny pieces of cookies when he went in the box & we'd watch and move
him to the box when it looked like he was getting ready.  Well, it only
took about a day for him to jump in and out of the box and then come paw
us for a cookie!  Took about 3 days for Lima to "understand" us when we'd
say "you didn't go!" to him, at which point he would then go back to the
box and squeeze himself silly until he'd managed to produce something to
get a cookie.  After a few of these episodes we thought he'd do himself
some damage this way and discontinued the cookie treats.  But we have never
in all of the past 6 years been able to get him to consistently use the
box!  He mostly uses the box when we are in the room with him, but
routinely uses a convient corner when we're not around.... and if we
go away for a few days.... GASP!... it's everywhere!

The reason I ask is merely in case we decide to get another ferret when
Lima goes.  He's pretty old now, I'd guess, and I've heard that the
lifespan isn't much more than what he's at now.... although he's still
quite lively, he's not as energetic as he used to be, his coat is
gradually getting a little sparse and lighter in color (he's a sable),
and his nose has gone from dark to pink completely.  I don't know that,
at this time of his life, he'd be able to be reconciled to the litter box,
but unless I can convince my better half that another one _can_ learn
to use the box... I don't think I'll be having another ferret.

--
Teri Ray     | RIME: 1532 or DATATERM    | Internet: [log in to unmask]
DTR BBS      | CIS: 71331,2467           | BBS: 1 602 993 4753/8N1/v.32