Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The Ferret Mailing List (FML)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1993 09:40:30 -0500
To Beckers concerning Sir Tieke:

Tail hair loss is seen periodically in the ferret for currently unknown
reasons.  A lot of people believe that it is due to stress (myself
included), but this is primarily from circumstantial and anecdotal
experience.  If the hair loss extends to the underbelly, and then the
flanks and back, I would strongly suspect an adrenal lesion.  Examine the
environment for stresses that can be alleviated, and lets monitor this hair
loss.  If in progresses to other areas of the body, then I would suggest a
trip to the vet for an examination.

As far a bad breath goes - I would have Nero's mouth checked by the vet for
tartar accumulation.  This is the #1 cause of bad breath and he may need
his teeth cleaned.  Also, less commonly, animals with kidney disease can
have bad breath - if he shows any other signs of distress such as vomiting,
lethargy, or diarrhea, I would also have him evaluated along these lines
(bloodwork is usually the best way to evaluate renal function).  Also check
what he is eating - he may be getting into something that has a
particularly bad odor.

Bruce Williams