From:
Dan Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 1994 14:54:05 -0500
I am a new subscriber to the FML so please don't flame me if this is a FAQ.
If you want you can just point me to the archive volumes that cover this
topic.

A year ago I bought my son Gabriel his first ferret "Ferry" and within two
months we picked up it's companion "Furry". Both "Furrets", as he calls them,
are older females, and they have made ideal pets for our apartment lifestyle:

  - We are not allergic to them like we are the cats and rabbits.
  - Unlike dogs or cats they can stay in their cages while we are away.
  - They tolerate the brunt of my son's affection and often return his
    love with tender licks.
  - They my scratch to get away, but they never bite.

Our only problem is that we have had very little success in getting them
house broken. We generally restrict their play to my son's room where their
cage is readily accessible, and they seem to know that they are supposed to
take care of business before they are allowed to come out (sometimes they
even fake it). We tried litter boxes, but these are usually missed and are
ineffective unless there is one in every corner. Litter boxes also make great
place to play (what a mess).

Can anyone help us! I hate to leave them in their cage but unless we find a
solution they may only get to come out when they are being held, or when the
weather is nice enough to go outside.

Dan Clark
Wheaton College
501 E. College Avenue