From:
Dave Garvin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 1994 23:45:29 -0500
>From: [log in to unmask] (Victoria Hadfield)
>Subject: Re:  Poor Owners

>I have known, loved, and *cared for* this ferret for *years*, and
>I can't tell you how upsetting it is to be accused of neglect
>or irresponsible ownership because I can't spend $1000.00 on my ferret.

---I sympathize with your loss.  Rest assured that I, for one, do not think
that there was anything wrong with your decision.  Unfortunately, at some
dollar amount, we would all have to make a similar decision.  This dollar
amount is not fixed, and your decision was based upon your own personal
circumstance.  This situation happens in human health care as well.  Don't
feel guilty about it.

>From: "Jeffery D. White" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Hair Loss on Tail
>
>I have an 3 yr old male albino ferret who has lost quite a bit of hair off of
> his tail. The problem started a little over a year ago.  After taking him to a
> couple of veterinarians and using creams, shampoos, etc., the problem
>persists.
> Although some some hair seems to grow back, the tail is still not a pretty
>>sight.  Not only is the hair extremely thin, but the tail appears very dirty
>>looking (small red spots may be found all over it).

---I posted on a similar problem a few months ago.  One of our ferrets lost
hair from her tail, primarily the underfur.  She had orange/dark red crusts
on the bare skin as well.  However, after about two months it grew back in.
 I am curious as to whether or not your ferret has any orange dermatitis on
her skin, particularly near her genitalia or elsewhere.  Our ferret still
has such spots in various places, but it does not hinder her activities.
The vets we saw could not come up with a diagnosis.

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject:
>To Dave and the girls -
>It seems to me that the docs at Cornell are doing the right thing.  They
>are pretty good with ferrets up there.  I would also suspect a toxic
>reaction based on your letter.  Ferrets often get into things that they
>should not be eating, and they vomit fairly readily. From all of the
>symptoms that you listed, that seems the most logical.
>If there is further problems, please email me...

---Thanks for the input.  Stick seems to have recuperated, though she kept
us up two nights vomiting and dry heaving.  Interestingly, she was not
really lethargic during this episode.  She would heave for a while and then
want to play.  I want to thank Dr. Williams for an earlier post which
mentioned bacterial infections of the stomach as a possible cause of
vomiting.  I consulted with the vets about the possibility, and to make
sure they gave Stick an antibiotic prescription.  In retrospect, I do not
believe it was bacterial, but I am glad that posts on ferret maladies are
available throught the FML.

Ciao
Dave and "the girls"