From:
"Vanessa M. Cook" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1993 11:12:24 -0400
[log in to unmask] writes...
{ Subject: Tux - the 3-legged ferret
{
{ my ideas would be this:  either some type of trauma such as getting a foot
{ caught in the cage and subsequent stretching of the nerves, or possibly (and
{ less probably) a tumor affecting the nerves supplying that leg.  The loss of
{ function in a single leg is much more likely to represent local nerve damage

Bobbie Daniel <[log in to unmask]> writes...
{ Subject: Vacuums with Weasels
{
{ I worry that 2 1/2 yo Emmett will have a heart attack when I vacuum! His
{ happy almond-eyes turn round and fearful, he trembles and hides under his
{ mattress, shaking, until I'm through and he gets a cuddle and some ferretone.

Remember Vacuum Cleaners are bloody Loud!  The get a Rock-n-Roll Concert level
rating as far as how loud they are.  Jet engines are on slightly louder.
Ferrets are sensitive to loud sounds.  Vacuum Cleaners generate high
frequencies right up where ferrets can hear the best.
Our ferrets play KILL when ever we vacuum.  :)  And Vacuums have all of the
really Neat-O rubber bumpers on them that one can sink ones teeth into.  :)

[log in to unmask] writes...
{ Subject: CEDAR BEDDING
{
{ I was in our local Petsmart yesterday and noticed that they recommend red
{ cedar bedding for ferrets.
{
{         If someone could give me a textbook reference that says "Ferrets are
{ allergic to cedar chips.", I'd be more than happy to write them a letter
{ saying this.  (In fact, everyone should!)  I'll get their address and post it
{ soon.  (I'd also like to write a letter to the rabies idiot in New Hampshire.)

Check out the book "Ferrets in Your Home" published by TFH.  The Author is
Dr. Wendy Winstead.  She also wrote "Ferrets."  A book that I considered to
have some number of errors.  Apparently so did she, as she notes in her more
recent book "Ferrets in Your Home."  I like the recent book much better than
any other book I have read on the subject.

Anyway it has a reference to Allergies and Cedar Chips as well as
a reference to permenant nerve damage to feet in ferrets.

I got the book for $30.  :( But I would have gotten it anyway.
The book has a large medical section, too. The best I have seen outside of
a proper scientific or medical text.

Contents include: Introduction, Choosing Your Ferret, Temperament and Handling,
Preparing for Arrival, Feeding Your Ferret, Housebreaking, Ferret Grooming,
Ferret Health, Reproduction, Breeding, Safety, Traveling with Your Ferret,
Becoming a Two-Ferret Family, Ferrets and Other Animals, Ferret Lessons,
Suggested Reading, Index.
--
Brian & 'Nessa (watched over by) Priscilla & Herman (carpet sharks)
"Maybe it's a gift, a special talent that I, alone, possess!"  --Wembley