From:
Paula Lytle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1993 14:36:01 -0400
As a relatively new ferret person, I have been worried about the diseases
I had been reading about in the FML. I'm afraid Persephone is sick. She
was vomiting early yesterday morning and seemed listless, so I took her to
vet that afternoon. (Thanks to everyone on the FML who have stressed quick
response to any sign of ferret illness. Without having read all your
advice I might have been inclined to let it go for a day and see how she did.)
Dr. Kimber Brawley said he had seen similar symptoms in four ferrets
recently,  and they seemed to have some liver inflammation and/or
infection. He gave her fluids for the dehydration, and Amoxicillin drops
and RenalCare feline liquid diet. We managed to give her the antibiotic
and three 2cc feedings of the Renalcare last night. This morning, however,
she resisted the first feeding- rather than lapping as she had before. She
also vomited when I tried to give her the second feeding. We are back to
Dr. Brawley this afternoon. I am really worried. Any advice would be
appreciated. If anyone could give me some tips on how to syringe feed a
ferret by myself, it would also be welcome.