From:
Thomas Clancy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1993 13:34:07 -0400
Greetings, all:

    I have a 13 month old male. He has had all his shots [to date] and
has undergone 2 operations [for removal of *FOAM RUBBER* {ear plug}]
throughout his short, albeit, interesting life thus far. Several months
ago I noticed a part of his abdomen [the fur] turn yellow.  I assumed it
was simply urine stain.  I let it pass.  After some time more and more
of the fur on his underside turned yellow.  Closer examination revealed
that he was secreting some kind of brownish/reddish waxy discharge and
that this is "staining" the fur [so I surmise], he also exhibits loss
of fur in these areas as well--not complete loss, but extremely thin
compared to everywhere else.  One of these patches is now located dorsal/
posterior area of the back.  His underside [including the underside of
his tail] are the main areas.  This is NOT Flea infestation/eggs etc; It
is also not what is commonly known as "Yellow Belly" in mink--it is not
caused by him lying in his urine and rubbing it in.  I have 3 questions,
one which is puzzling.

1) Why is it only located on the underside?
2) What is this?
3) What can I do to get rid of it?

    I have had him to a VET and they are at a loss. NOt surprising, as
there are "probably" only about 30 or so ferrets in my province [which
is as large as the largest State in the US] and you can bet that 98
percent of these people do not bring them in, much like the majority of
cat and dog owners don't, therefore they have little experience with
obscure manifestations such as this.  The VET suspected a vitamin
deficiency was the culprit, I doubted it, as it is only on the
undersides, but I went with his vitamin suppliment just in case.  It has
had no effect what-so-ever.  This bothers the ferret so much at times
that he simply tears out his fur and has occasionly drawn blood.  He is
an excellently tempered ferret. He absolutely positively will not bite
for any reason. The VETS are astounded [and of course they love him] by
this.  The first time I was in I had to make a deal with one of the lady
VETS that he wouldn't bite [while she gave him his shots], if he did I
said I'd do her housework for a year. 8-) Needless to say she didn't get
to collect [Darn!] }:-)

Thanks for your time and effort,
Thomas