From:
Chris Haas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1993 23:37:34 -0400
Questions and more questions..

First, I read this mailing list a lot and don't reply very
often.

Whoever talked about the ferret jungle gym with the clear
tubes - it sounds wonderful.  When I move into a house I
plan to build them a spectacular play room and get more
ferrets - I only have 3 now.

Anyway,

Re:  FERVAC D

All three of mine have been vaccinated with no reactions
whatsoever.  Reactions can occur in all mammals regardless
of the specific vaccine, though I suppose some cause more
reactions than others.  I know some ferrets do have
reactions to FERVAC D, but then some also have reactions
to rabies shots, as well as FROMM D.

Re:  Drainage Pipe

I have been using draining tubing for the last 2 years.  I find
the 3" size useful for my females who are much smaller.  I have
some 4" tubing for my large male, though he fits in the 3" tubes
as well - I'm always afraid he is going to get stuck though.
They still play in it, after all this time.  One goes in one
side, and the other goes in the other side and then they spaz
out and slither out backwards and attack each other and then
run back in.  If one runs back in the other will wait and
try to judge which hole he/she is going to come out and then
attack her when she does.

Personalities:

My ferrets have such distinct personalities.  My male, Tavi Bear,
is just the biggest ham.  He always acts like he is sooo deprived.
He lays infront of his plexiglas barrier and pouts.  He'll lay on
his back with his feet up in the air and he just knows he looks
totally adorable!

I adopted Tavi from the Milwaukee shelter and he comes with a very
peculiar habit..  he is very determined about obtaining soda cans -
full or empty.  When I first brought him home and set him on the floor
he found a 6-pack of Dr. Pepper and dragged it all under the couch.
I was astounded and took it away from him quickly.  Then he stole
an unopened can (got it out of the 6-pack ring) and ran with it,
I mean you could lift the can and he would dangle freely from it,
he was not letting go if his life depended on it.  Then he took the
can and somehow pushed the tab in and opened it.  I then took it away
cause it was making a mess.  It doesn't seem as though he is entirely
interested in the soda inside.  I mean he likes it, but not THAT much.
And if he knows you have a can, he will not leave you alone.  He will
steal empty ones as well, though I'm afraid he will cut his tongue on
the aluminum that is quite sharp.  Anybody have any ideas about this
one?  Like I said, he's adopted so I don't know what his former
convictions might have been.

TREATS!

Here are some treats I have found successful:
(Other than the bananas and raisons everyone seems to love)

Fortune Cookies (little bits of course) !!
Banana chips
Peanut Butter!!
Lemonade, orange juice, and red cool-aid  (wierdos)
Freezies (anything sweet I guess)

Hug all your ferrets for me..

Chris & Tavi Bear & Nina & Scooter