Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1993 11:35:25 -0400
John: I think I said that any shampoo was "suppose" to kill the fleas on
the  animals.  If  I  didn't,  I   certainly  meant  too!  :>  When  you
precor/methoprene did anyone warn you that  you would have to retreat in
a few  weeks (usually  2-3) for  adults emerging  from the  "Cocoon"? It
seems that no chemical developed will penetrate these things and that is
why you retreat with an  adulticide (pyrethrins/permethrins) a couple of
weeks later. The growth inhibitor is "suppose" to keep working for up to
30 weeks (depending on the brand).

On another front,  Fervac is the avian cell origin  vaccine licensed for
use in  ferrets by United.  It is the only  product approved for  use in
ferrets although most  of us have used FrommD forever.  Does anyone know
of any  problems peculiar to the  Fervac? It's approved so  we should be
using it, just thought I would ask.

I was contacted  by the GA ferret association Sunday  and they said they
had several  animals available  for adoption.  However, today  I learned
that my 5 month  old son and I are BOTH allergic  to dogs, cats, horses,
cows, and  birds...probably ferrets. I  am going  to clean up  the house
(UGH!),  banish the  dogs to  the  back half  (kitchen, breakfast  room,
laundry room,  den, bath rooms, and  bedroom) and keep all  the wildlife
(currently 4  fawns, 2 raccoons, 1  adult squirrel with a  broken leg, 1
owl with  2 mending wings,  assorted baby  songbirds) out of  the house.
Maybe by fall we can move a ferret in as we have more time, less animals
and  allergies  calmed down  (I  hope).  keep  thinking all  those  good
thoughts!

Talking to Audobon Society tonight about orphaned and injured wildlife.

 What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone man would die
 of a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts,
 soon happens to man. - attributed to Chief Seattle 1851