Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The Ferret Mailing List (FML)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Robbin Huls 253-9817 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1992 15:36:07 -0500
> From issue 235:
> I've also heard that NJ pet stores are supposed to give out license
> applications, but I can't confirm that.  (Tho I know of one store in
> NEW YORK that will not sell a ferret until you produce a license).

I don't know if you're talking about New York State or New York City here.
I don't know anything about New York City laws, but in the rest of the state,
you must have a license from the Fish and Game Bureau.  The pet stores that
I have been in here in Rochester all require a license number in order to
sell a ferret.  I guess you could get a ferret from someone outside a pet
store or a registered breeder, but my license requires me to send my number
and the buyers license number to them when I transfer ownership of a ferret.

The license costs $10 for 1 year and they send you a renewal form each year.
The license permits me to own any number of ferrets *and* to breed and sell
ferrets (with the above restriction).  I had and have no intention of breeding,
but there is just the one generic license.  It didn't even used to say ferret
on the license, it had to be filled in by hand (I think the last couple of
years the license has had "Ferret" actually printed as part of the license,
the numbers must be increasing!)

It seems to me that they would want to license breeders as well (separately)
if they wanted to keep tabs on the population.  I got the feeling that it is
just a "going through the motions" kind of thing.

From issue 236:
> Pretty harmless, and the fee for the license was low -
> affordable for a college student, even. Just apply and get the darned
> license, it's not a big deal.

I pretty much agree with this; the thing that bothers me is that by requiring
a fish and game license (here in NY state), they're grouping ferrets into the
"wild" category. IMHO, if they were thought of a domestic animals, we could
get the vaccines and widespread veterinary knowlege much more easily and
quickly.