From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 1994 07:32:58 EST
To Cindy:

>Thanks for your input on the safety of HCG. I still plan to look into having
>one of my males vasectamized. I would think that would be healthier than
>messing with the jill's hormone levels.

        It never hurts to have a vasectomized male around.  A lot of breeders
keep them so they can take care of prolonged sestrus before it gets too
prolonged.....

>The woman who owned the ferret left a message on my son's answering machine
>tonight, they want to come look for another ferret. We've talked it over and
>are going to try to talk her into a neutered ferret this time. And we also are
>going to try to convince her to cage this ferret some of the time anyway.

        I think that's a great idea.  We have six ferrets at home, all neutered.
 While they have free run of the house all day except for at night when they are
confined to their bedroom (yes they have their OWN room), after they crash
following an hour or two of intense play, we gather up those who haven't return
to their room and put them up there.  That way we  A) keep track of their hiding
places 2) prevent them from sneaking out the door, etc.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000