From:
Urban Fredriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1993 01:57:14 -0500
The Fervac-D arrived in Sweden in time for this week's biweekly
local ferret club meeting this Thursday. The primary reason the
two most ferret experienced veterinarians from the government
veterenary institute visited us, was to gather samples for the
first Aleutian Disease testing of ferrets.

There is Aleutian Disease in Sweden, but as far as we know yet
only amongs mink and fitch. We'll see what the results from this
testing says; if there's no one infected among the approx 70
ferrets that turned out (they had figured on 20 only, so they
couldn't afford to let us have it for free, as was said last
meeting) we probably won't make testing mandatory, yet.

Both veterinarians have been working with mink and fitch for a
long time, but for them, ferrets as pets is still a rather new
thing, and I really like that they take the time to learn about
them. Incidently, she who gave my darlings their shots and cut
off their claws is the only one in Sweden who performs autopsies
on ferrets. She had brought nice pictures that showed the inside
of a mink (ferrets look just the same she said) with Aleutian
Disease, or Plasmacytos as we'll probably call it in Sweden, to
show us what happens.

Some comments about my ferrets from others.
Outside, waiting to go in:
 - Rather small that one, yes?
 - Well, some people think Natasha's large.
 - Oh, it's a girl!
Inside, walking around with them on the same lead:
 - Are they siblings?
 - Yes.
 - I thought so, they walk together so well.
Veterinarian about Allison:
 - Her head's a very nice shape.

And as usual, Allison (the small one at 0.85 kg) won all
wrestling matches, regardless of the opponents' size. She was
spoiled as a kid, and now thinks she can always have her way, but
she's never hurt anyone, man or animal; but by now I consider
Natasha to be completely childproof too. But I don't consider all
small children ferretproof!

A pity the next show is within 8 minutes walking distance from
here, on Mars 3, the day after I return from almost four weeks in
Nepal. I don't think I can stand beeing there the whole day, due
to jetlag and other things, so they won't be exhibited. Anyway,
it might be just as well, as I don't know exactly how old they
are, and it's uncertain if they should compete as juniors, or in
the standard class. No matter, my goal is to have them take
awards as seniors, preferebly as the first ones. Since our
organization started in 1987, there has never been a ferret 6
years or older on a show, but realistically I don't have a
chance, as there must by this time be lots of 3-4 year olds.
--
 Urban Fredriksson  [log in to unmask]