From:
Jeb Weisman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1993 11:41:18 -0500
Roger and Nancy,

Don't want to ruffle any fur, as it were.  It's merely that since our
monsters like the 8-in-1 stuff I figured I'd take a direct hand in finding
out what they were eating.  Your comments, Roger, (I have the text here
but paraphrased was that you and your boss (?) would not sell their
products because they lacked L-Taurine (at least on the label).  Anyway, I
took all of this seriously, spoke with Dr. Kawasaki, and talked to the
head of research for 8-in-1.  At my request they did an assay of their
food.  What they found was that, in fact, there was L-Taurine as a
naturally included by-product, BUT, not as much as they thought there was.

To that end, they are trying to figuer out what is a reasonable level.
Unfortunately, liability fears prevent them from just adding the
substance.  Imagine if there was a dangerous level and one can see their
position.  Anyway, they agreed that as soon as we could find a reasonable
consensus of opinion they'd figure out how to add it.

Likewise, Nancy makes a credible suggestion that they may be over stating
the amount of Ferretone to be used for a ferret POSSIBLY to make more
money.  This may or may not be true.  I'd like to have baseline
information for ferretone so that I can then ask 8-in-1 how they
determined their doseage recommendations and have something moderatele
informed to say.

As I see it, this list is read by 160+ official subscribers and how many
other friends, etc.  I've made the mistake of not taking this into account
(to wit, consider Bill Gruber's very good question: who am I to be
reporting on the NYC situation).  Anyway, if I can follow up on something
and actually make a difference I try to and that's what I'm doing here.

Thanks.  -Jeb