From:
DTHOMASON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 1994 20:39:42 -0500
   >From:
   >[log in to unmask] (Katherine Fritz) Subject:
   >Ethoxyquin/vaccination reactions Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994
   >09:34:23 -0500 Regarding ethoxyquin:
   >I have talked to the staff vets on CompuServe's Pets/Animals
   >Forum (GO PETSFORUM) about ethoxyquin several times, and have
   >not to date been told that there is any scientific evidence
   >indicating that this preservative is harmful to dogs, cats,
   >ferrets or any other animal.  Until I hear otherwise, I
   >personally consider this a rumor.  I have not even heard any
   >anecdotal evidence about specific adverse effects caused by
   >ethoxyquin. Now I know some people don't like preservatives in
   >food on general principle, and that's fine.  But if there is
   >evidence that ethoxyquin is harmful, I'd be very interested in
   >some cites.
   Katie--
          I am told that the November 1992 issue of Cat Fancy
   magazine contains an article on the negative side effects of
   Ethoxyquin.  I can't verify that because I have yet to locate it!
   Wouldn't you know that the Fort Worth Library didn't start keeping
   it until 1993, and they don't have it on microfiche either?  I
   plan to try the Arlington library, and if absolutely necessary I
   may make the effort to drag myself to the Dallas library, but what
   a drive!  Also, my vet has made comments to me in the past about
   ethoxyquin producing some rather nasty side effects, though he
   didn't specify.  I'll try to remember to call him on my days off
   next week and ask for details and written references he made
   mention of.  If my vet thinks it's worth avoiding, then I think
   it's at least worth my consideration when I choose foods!

                 Debra in Ft.Worth, TX

Fun with Greek #4: Fee, m, fo, fum!