From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 1994 18:11:46 -0500
    To Wendy Hudson: don't feel too left out about your questions not
getting answered. Seems like a lot of folks' questions sorta slip through
the cracks. Maybe with the higher traffic on the FML lately, it's more common
for people to overlook a few things. All I can suggest is if your question
isn't answered after a week or so, post again (earlier of course if it's
critical; hope you don't mind these suggestions, Chris).

    Now, to take my own advice, I haven't gotten any response to my questions
from issue #764 (except for a thumbs up report on Diamond Professional cat
food; thanks Michelle and The MASKeteers :). A brief re-cap of the questions
I'd still like answered:

(1) How do I switch my older ferret to maintenance cat food and leave my
    younger one on kitten food when they eat from the same dish? Or should
    I wait till the younger one's 3 and the older's 4.5? (though by then
    I'll probably have *another* youngster around).

(2) How important is ear cleaning? How often should it be done? How should
    I go about doing it? I consulted the FAQ, but would like more detail
    (no offense, Pamela).

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me on these.

    Now for some new questions! :) I was wondering if anyone has experience
taking their ferrets across the Canada/US border. Since I got Bud almost 2
years ago, I haven't taken any long vacations, or visited the States (I live
in Canada). I have taken a few brief trips in that time, but generally only
a few days long. For one trip I had my brother stay at my place and look
after the 'kids', but for the others I just brought them along (hotel rooms
are generally pretty ferret-safe, and I always have their cage along if
needed).

    I used to take a 2 week road trip through the States just about every
summer. Now that I have my fuzzies, I'm concerned about what to do with them
if I take a long vacation again. I don't know any other ferret owners locally
who I could leave them with (and non ferret owners don't have 'ferret-proof'
homes). I guess I could have someone come in and feed/water them and check
on them daily. On the other hand, I've considered taking them along on such
a trip. I'd hate to be away from them for so long, and besides, there are
some Ferret-List members who I'd love to introduce them to if I'm ever in
their neck of the woods :). What does everyone think? Would this be wise?
I know I'd have to plan in advance to carefully avoid any FFZs, but my main
concern is whether there would be problems crossing the Canada/US border with
them.

    On a related note, I'd like my next ferret to be 'unaltered' so I could
let them achieve full growth before messing with their endocrine system. But
ferrets don't seem to be very common around here, even in the pet stores (and
all the pet store kits are neutered/descented young anyway). If I were to buy
a new fuzzy in the States, might there be trouble bringing him/her back across
the border?

One final question. I sent the McDowells another contribution last payday,
and plan to again at the end of the month. I heard they lost their house a
while ago, and I'd just like someone to verify that their mailing address
and phone number are still:

    Mike & Rita McDowell
    Box 432
    Onaga, Kansas 66521