Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1993 23:34:09 -0500
          I have a story relating to climbing ferrets. My Weezul is the
"problem" ferret. He could climb a glass wall if he had a chance. He must
have suction pads on his feet. I have lost three pairs of washer hoses
and two dryer vents to this little dare-devil. I finally put boards and
heavy weights in front of the washer and dryer and this deterred him for
awhile. Last week I found him behind the machines again and nothing had
been moved. The boards and weights were all in place. I watched him to
see how he did it and he scaled a utility shelf that was next to the washer!
When I say scaled I mean like scaling a mountain. He climbed the legs of
the shelf as if it was a tree trunk. I blocked off all the shelves so
that he has nothing to climb onto and put a piece of plywood between
the shelf and washer and so far it has worked. You just have to keep
blocking off the areas that the ferret likes to get into. It is a constant
job to outsmart the ferret but it is a necessary one because the ferret
can get seriously hurt from falling or any number of things. I have used
plywood because in the more accessable places a ferret can dig right
through cardboard. It is trial and error process.