From:
Wendy Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1993 11:22:23 -0500
Hi guys,

I've just been lurking since I wrote about Silk's balding. Turns out it is
probably an adrenal enlargement or tumor. We could have opted for surgery or
tissue-killing drugs, but at his age (nearly 7), our vet said he probably
wouldn't get much extra time, and the treatments would be pretty traumatic for
the little guy. For now, he's healthy except for the hair loss. We're adding
some canned food to his kibble to try to add a little weight.

The point of this is that we're facing the fact that Silk's not going to be here
forever, and do we want another ferret. Answer following soul search: YES! And
this time we want to know what we're doing. We also want a sweetheart like Silk,
not an aggressive and somewhat wild one like our late ook LaFitte. We also would
like to avoid pet shops, as the one in our area that sells ferrets has an
abyssmal animal neglect and cruelty record (I don't want to give them money!).
Who in the midwest raises really good, healthy, sociable ferrets? Do any of the
famous eastern breeders ship, other than to pet stores? Are sables more
aggressive than the "fancy" colors? (most of the sweeties I've known have NOT
been sable). How do males & females differ in temperament? I've ordered the
general info packet, but I'd like lots of personal anecdotal info from the
people on this list who love and live with ooks. You can mail me personally if
you don't want to clutter the list.

Thanks for the help,
Wendy