From:
Charlie Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1993 08:05:29 -0500
Hi fellow ferret owners!

   I just thought I'd write a bit in response to some stuff I've read
here and also relate a few experiences.

   Our critter Jazmine is doing pretty well.  We had a bit of concern
the last couple of days because she didn't seem to be very er...
regular.  Yesterday, I think I found the reason.  I found a mangled
rubber band in her stool. (yuk).  Anyways, she didn't seem to
be eating a lot, so last night I fed her some of her favorite treat,
sweetened breakfast cereal!  We have this morning ritual where she
comes over while I'm eating breakfast, stands up on her hind legs,
and begs for my breakfast.  Anyways, this morning I noticed that she
had deposited the remains of her Cheerios in her litter box, so hopefully
she is back to normal.  Incidentally, her regular food is Kay-Tee
ferret food.  Our vet recommended it, and according to the nutritional
info, it should be quite good, (35% protein, with a lot of fat, etc.)
Anyone else use this?  Heard of it?

   While we're on the litter subject, I have a little problem.  When we
first got Jazmine, (about 2 1/2 months ago) she tended to pick a
particular corner to 'go' in, so we put an extra (besides the one in
her cage) litter box there, and she used it for about 2-3 weeks.
Ever since then, she won't go near it.  She usually picks a convenient
corner and 'goes' there.  Sometimes she even 'goes' right beside her
litter box, but she won't 'go' in it!!  It's a little frustrating since
she has 2 or 3 spots she likes to 'go' in now.  Any suggestions?  It's
hard to catch her in the act because you never know when she's going to
'go'.

   About our problem with her getting into the kitchen cabinets, we
still haven't solved it.  The magnets didn't work very well.  She
just systematically found the weakest one(s) and pries away until
she gets in.  I will try the suggestion about the U shaped plastic though.
It won't work completely as our doors open like this:

\     \      /    /   As you can see, it will work on the middle two,
 \     \    /    /    but not on the outer two.

   I finally managed to keep her out of the hole in our wall.  I tried
stuffing it full of tin foil, as someone suggested that they hate
chewing on it.  Well, she bit chunks of it off and ran away with it!
Then she had a great time tearing it to shreds, and finally getting
back in the hole.  I had much more success with a piece of plastic that
I blocked the hole with and taped over with duct tape.  She's still
working away at getting past that one for now.  I managed to keep
her from getting in behind our refrigerator (as she was ripping
out the insulation from under the fridge).  There is a 3 inch gap between
the fridge and our counter so I taped up the gap using duct tape and
cardboard.  It worked.

   I also highly recommend clipping ferret's nails when they are
sleeping.  It works great with Jazmine.  I have yet to try the
Linatone on the tummy trick, but I will soon.

   As for high places, the only high place Jazmine likes to get up on
is the arm of our couch, and that is only so she can take a flying leap
over to the chair.  She's certainly (and unfortunately) not afraid
of jumping from high places.  She also tries to jump down from my
shoulder when I put her up there.

Anyways, I've rambled enough.  Have a good day, and happy ferreting.

Charlie Cook