From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1993 09:37:31 -0500
Well, Punk ( an 8-week silver neutered and descented male) and I have been
together a week and a day now, and I'm reading everything I can get my hands
on about the little weasels, but of course I still have lots of questions.
 Thanks for you patience if this gets too long winded!

First of all, is it possible to teach a ferret (or realistic, even) not to
bite your other pets?  I have two dogs, both of whom have been very patient
but I fear their patience will run out if Punk doesn't act a little kinder!
Also, what are most people's experiences with the bird/ferret combination?
I have an african grey that gets along with the dogs just fine (they pretty
much ignore each other) but I get the feeling that Smoky would eat Punk
alive if given the chance!

Secondly, have rabies shots for ferrets yet been proven effective?  I took
Punk to the vet yesterday and she just gave him his first distemper shot.
In spite of being a Marshall Farms prodigy, she said he's a beauty.  I've
read some articles in the FML on this particular farm--what (gulp) should I
look out for regarding health and tempermant problems?  So far he seems
pretty good natured, though I can tell I'll be focusing on the nipping issue
for a while.  The interesting thing is that when he was getting his exam, he
didn't once try to nip the vet and in fact was the bravest one in a very
crowded waiting room!

At what point do ferret owners feel confident that their pet won't poop in
the bed if they let it sleep with them?  At any point? lol  I'd love it if
Punk could sleep with me.

Do ferrets calm down as they mature?

Well, I'm sure this is only part one!  Thanks in advance for your help and
suggestions.  I was so excited when I discovered this list!!

Tracy