From:
Christian Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1993 09:57:00 -0500
First, my question.  Then onto my problem...

Ok, I was in my local Pet Store and they had a cute little picture of
my baby.  (Well, actually, it isn't feasel, but the look almost exactly
the same.  The only real difference is that the ferret on the picture
has a wider head, making it a male.  Right?)  Anyways...  I picked up
the pamphet with "my baby's" face on it.  It is titled "FERRET facts",
and was distributed by Marshall Farms.  (So I figure just about all of
you should be able to get it.)  It was quite interesting, and now I'll
get to my question.

Feasel was born in the first week of April.  I read that you had to
feed them moist kitten food.  In this pamphlet it reads:  "... When you
ferret is very young, moisten the dry diet with water to create a soft
consistency.  Gradually, introduce your ferret to the dry diet.  By
twelve weeks they should be accustomed to it. ..."  Does that mean
Feasel should have been eating dry food in July or August?  Should I
start giving her dry food?

Now for my problem...

Feasel getting out of her cage has led to an epidemic (sp?).  I was
sitting at my computer and I heard her chewing on something.  When I
got to her, she had eaten 1/2 of one of those squishy disposable
earplugs that they give you at factories.  I took the earplugs away,
and I cleaned her cage.  I checked the next morning, and there was only
a little tiny turd in her box.  I was dumfounded.  All I kept thinking
of was that she had a blockage.  I took a shower and when I came out, I
checked her box again.  A HA!  There were "normal" sized turds *WITH*
the earplug!  YAY!  I was so happy I almost started to cry!  Now...  It
is six days later and I am worried once again.  She got into the closet
and started tearing apart some latex/rubber thing I had in there.  I
don't know if she has swallowed any of it, or just tore it apart.  My
room was a shambles when I came home (thanks to Feasel).  I gave her a
bowl Cheerios and she crapped like crazy.(Two Days Ago)  Yesterday, I
gave her another bowl and she crapped once, early last night, and once
sometime after 10:30pm last night.  My other question is, does she have
a blockage?  How long after she eats somthing does it take to block?  I
am really worried.  I checked her anus a few times, and there was no
sign of blood anywhere.  Please help.  I'm really worried...

                                            Christian Miller
                                            Big Mill
 * Scribe 4.0 * The gift of God is eternal life.