From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1993 13:11:33 -0500
This query is mostly for Dr. Williams:

A while back, I wrote about my 5yo ferret, Olly, that was losing hair
all over and had swollen lymph nodes.  My vet suggested that it could
be an adrenal gland tumor or lymphosarcoma.  He took some fluid samples
(not cheap) which were inconclusive (no surprise).  The best way to
determine the problem is through exploratory surgery.

The surgery will cost about $250.  With Xmas approaching, this is a bit
stiff for me right now.  And my husband is not so sure its necessary
since it is not obvious that Olly is suffering.  His swelling is down,
so his back legs no longer fail on slippery surfaces.  He seems to get
around fine and does not seem overly listless, but certainly doesn't
feel well enough for even an occasional ferret dance (but he didn't do
that often before he started losing hair).

We've obviously been stalling on deciding whether to go ahead with the
surgery.  (Please try to understand, we love Olly, but our situation
right now doesn't make it easy to drop this kind of cash on him - plus
my vet can't guarantee that surgery will solve the problem.)
During this time (a couple of months) Olly's health has not worsened
(as I mentioned, the swelling's reduced).  Why?

My husband doesn't think that just hair loss should warrant an
expensive operation.  What will happen if we don't do this soon?  (I
will quickly have the surgery done and pay in installments if I need to
get this done now.)