From:
Charlie Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1993 10:52:21 -0500
Hi folks,

   I noticed someone was talking about their ferrets overturning their
dishes.  Our ferret (Jazmine) used to do that, and also used to try
to overturn her litter box in her cage when she was bored.  I fixed the
problem by duct taping both items to the bottom of her cage.  It worked
quite well.

   I spent last night trying to install magnets on our kitchen cupboard
doors to keep her out of there.  Otherwise she gets into our garbage
and clangs around in the casserole dishes.  She's already managed to break
one.  I don't know how well the magnets will work.  Being a ferret, she
is VERY persistent.  Anyone got any hints on other ways to keep ferrets
out of cupboards?  Before, I tried child locks, but they allow the door to
be opened the centimeter or two that a ferret needs to squeeze in.

   Another question I have is Do you other owners usually let your ferret
run loose at all times?   Or do you cage them at night, when you go
out etc.?  I live in an apartment and usually let her run around under
supervision, but otherwise I put her in her cage.

   There's also a hole in our wall under the baseboard heater where
she can get in, and likes to hide out.  I tried blocking it with
duct tape and cardboard, but she clawed/chewed her way around/through it.
Any suggestions for me here?  Anything I do is viewed as an added
challenge for her.  So far she has gotten the best of me!! :)

Charlie Cook