From:
Jeffrey C Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1993 08:55:29 -0400
> Date:   Wed, 28 Jul 1993 14:21:14 -0400
> From:   Kathryn Michelle Krowl <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: re: litter box training
> To:     Ferret List <[log in to unmask]>
>
> [Please note that the proper address for articles is
> [log in to unmask], *not* ferret-request.]
>
> I just recently bought a ferret.  she's a few months old, and i am having
> some difficulty in litter box training her.  when she is about to go to
> the bathroom, i put her in the litter box.  however, she is very stubborn
> and refuses to go.
>
> i was just wondering what is the best way to litter box train her (B.J.)?
> And is there a particular treat i could give B.J. as an incentive to use
> her box?
>
> Thanks,
> Kathy and B.J.

Kathy,

It takes a while, and a *lot* of patience!  Our ferrets (Mojo, who is
2+, and Jordan, 1 1/2) rarely have an accident any longer.  It took
almost a year to get rid of the accidents.  There is one place that
is not a litter pan that Mojo still uses occasionally, but, since it's
not carpet, we haven't been too stringent with him there.

Here's what we did:  when we caught them going where they shouldn't,
we would make disapproving sounds, and put them in the litter pan.
If we caught them after the act, we made sure they were watching
when we cleaned up the mess, and made dissapproving, "Bad Ferret"
sounds.  They *know* they are only supposed to use the litter pan!
However, this only works in conjunction with rewards when they do
go in the right place.  We reward with "Good Boy!" noises, and the
occasional raisin.  It has
gotten to the point where, if they use the litter pan and we don't
see it, they'll come "tell" us they did, hoping for a treat or praise!
You can essentially use any treat that B.J. likes as a reward, along
with a "Good Girl, B.J.!".

Good luck with B.J.!

--
Jeff Jones                      [log in to unmask]             Go Mojos!
eon corporation, formerly TV Answer, Inc.               (703) 715-8958