Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1992 14:23:57 -0400
Laura writes:

> Trella loves to play with me -- she likes it when I tickle her tummy
> and she pretends to chew on my hand.  Occasionally, she bites too
> hard and I correct her.  My question is, is this okay, or should all
> biting be discouraged?  It seems that everytime I pick her up or
> anything, she has her teeth ready (but like I said, she RARELY ever
> actually bites, she just sort of pretends to chew).  What I'm afraid
> of is that she'll see me only as a plaything and never get very
> affectionate (she would occasionally give me kisses when I brought
> her up to my face; the past couple of days if she does anything, she
> uses her teeth, again, not hard, but noses and lips are a lot more
> sensitive!  I always correct her when she does this).  How do I
> encourage the balance, and should I discourage all roughness?  How
> much of it will she just grow out of?  Questions, questions,
> questions!

Well, Elsa always wrestled with me when she was young and spry.  And
she would almost *always* chew on my hand, but in a very gentle,
almost affectionate way.  As a youngster, she bit fairly hard.  (The
day I brought her home, she drew blood!)  I made it policy, however,
to spank her (not too hard) on the nose, and shout 'No!'.  She soon
grew out of the rough bites.  (As an aside, she still played pretty
rough with her old playmate, Beuller.)

I'm certain that all ferrets are individuals, so your Trella may
differ, but it sounds like she's quickly learning that Mommy doesn't
like to play rough.

Ron