From:
"William L. Sebok" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1993 17:27:50 -0400
Amy Luttinger <[log in to unmask]> says:

> So that leaves viral and genetic factors.
>
> Does anyone know of anyone doing research on these possibilities?

We recently took one of our ferrets to Dr. Thomas Kawasaki in Woodbridge,
Virginia, to consult with him about the possibility of our ferret having
lymphosarcoma.  We have another appointment this week.  He told us that
he believes ferret lymphocytic cancer is caused by a retrovirus.  He is
involved with some scientists at MIT who are trying to prove this.  He
told us so much information in one conversation that it's hard to recall
everything, but he said something to the effect that ferrets housed with
ferrets that have lymphosarcoma tend to have abnormal white blood cell
counts too.

Clare Sebok