From:
Undetermined origin c/o LISTSERV administrator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 03:50:27 -0500
Well, all of Percy's bloodwork (Platelet count, glucose, and Packed Cell
Volume) all came back normal, so it looks like it's an adrenal tumor.

My vet here has been working closely with Dr. Kawasaki on this case,
so I feel pretty confident about the diagnosis, and it should be a
pretty cut and dry surgery.  (Although it is major surgery, they make
an incision in the abdomen and the adrenal glands are located behind
all the major organs on the back, above the kidneys.)

Back when this all started I was planning on taking her down to Dr.
Kawasaki for the surgery, but now I'm torn.  When my Dr. suggested that
I could do that, Dr. K told him "Oh, you can do that!", thinking that
my Dr. was nervous about it instead of it being my suggestion.  Also,
I'm sort of worried about the stress of a car trip right after surgery,
and the inherent risk involved with any road trip.  There's also a
minor consideration about money. (VERY insignificant compared to Percy's
well being) There's the cost of gas, probably at least 1 night in a hotel,
as well as all the other stuff like food and necessities.  I am a
starving student, after all.  (I really don't WANT to sell my stereo
system...  :-( )

What do all of you think?  Is it worth it to take Percy down to Dr. K for
the surgery, or is it a pretty simple operation and not worth all the
stress involved with travelling?

Some other pertinent information:

My Dr. has only performed *ONE* similar surgery.  But I consider him
to be an excellent Dr., he's very interested in ferrets (they are his
primary focus when it comes to learning right now), and he's done a lot
of research for Percy and talked extensively with Dr. K.  He also has
done a lot of studying about anesthetising ferrets, he was extremely
careful when he just mildly sedated Percy for the blood work.  (for those
who don't know, to do blood work on a ferret it's easiest to use the
veins in the neck since their veins are so small.  So, you have to
anesthetise the ferret since this would be pretty painful, and they would
more than likely not hold still for it.)

I haven't looked at a map yet, but I imagine Dr. K is about a 3 to 5 hour
drive from here.  Through Baltimore and D.C., so it's not exactly a safe
trip.

Thanks!

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree