From:
Jeb Weisman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1992 11:24:47 -0500
GEnie Pet-Net RT
Sun Mar 08, 1992
A.GRUDEN [Ann]               at 08:21 EST

re: <insurer's for ferret events>

Chere, we ran into the same problem with a couple of places in planning
for our first fun fest. I suspect that even if you could find a company
willing to provide coverage, the cost would be prohibitive (spoken as one
who's worked in insurance for years). Though I'd be interested in
learning if you do succeed in finding a company that will provide such
"protection."

re: <legal versus illegal ferret states>

Currently, the only states with bans on ferrets are CA, UT, MI, NH & MA.
In other states, certain areas may ban ferrets, but it is not a statewide
ban.

The MI bill passed one house and still has another to go before the
ban is lifted. I believe Beau's brought you up-to-date on the MA
situation.

In RI it is illegal to sell ferrets which just has folks coming to buy
them here in CT. But a permit is required, and as Beau said, no children
under 3 in the household.

re: <ferrets being declawed>

IMHO, a TOTALLY inhumane operation. In the 13 years I've had ferrets,
I've only had one or two "diggers." The best defense for sofas and such
is to staple an old sheet to the underside. Because it's a smooth fabric,
any animals (cats included), have nothing to "catch" their claws on and
that discourages them from attempting to dig at it. As for a carpeted
area, Bitter Apple is one possible solution. Another is to place a piece
of carpet runner over the spot of choice (works good by a door or
barrier). Another is to cover the area with a scatter rug.

As for the ferret who is trying to eat a carpet, I suspect that will
cease when he's neutered. Though I've found certain ferrets seem to like
to try to chew some of the man-made fibers (those kind that make that
horrible "chalk-board" noise when chewed.

re: <meeting a ferret in the RI/MA area>

F.A.C.T. (Ferret Association of CT), is going to have a fun show on
Sunday, May 31st in the Hartford area. If anyone is interested, contact
Beau Bannerman on the *NET - he'll have flyers next weekend with
directions to the show.

Ann Gruden
Sun Mar 08, 1992
DEFFBAM.MINN [R.S.Sellers]   at 09:33 EST

There is a company here in Minnesota that will provide a security bond
for ferrets at ferret shows and presentations.  If I remember correctly
the cost was between $300-600 per year based on the number of events to
be covered.