From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1993 15:08:23 -0400
        Greetings from the ferret free zone, well not entirely ferret
free :).  In a couple of weeks I'm going to travel over to Nevada and
get my second carpet shark.  But before I go I have some questions for
those of you who have seen more then just two ferrets in your entire
life.  How common are silver mitts?  I got my ferret (Cupid) one
weekend during the ski season when people from CA are buying the
ferrets like mad.  I had to go to five different pet stores and only
found one ferret, which was so cute I was forced to buy her.  She's a
little light colored sable.  I've seen silver mitts in books, but
never first hand.  I'm not even sure most pet stores carry them.  So, for
those of you who can just waltz down to your local pet store, or
breeder, and check out what's there...What's there????  What diffrent
kinds of colorations are generally found at your run of mill pet
store?
        My second question has to deal with temperment.  I keep
reading messages from people who talk about their cuddly ferrets.  Now
I've only seen two ferrets, but cuddly is not the word I would use to
discribe either of ones I've seen (including my own).  Infact, one of
the biggest reasons I want to get the second ferret is for her or him
to keep me company, not Cupid.  So how can you tell which ferret is
cuddly in the store?  Do they shy away, or run right up to you?  I
know that my ferret waited to bite until we got her home, she has
stopped sinse then (well mostly).  How do you pick your ferrets out at
the store, or breeder?

BTW_ Thanks Nancy for the STAR list, but the shelters in Nevada didn't
want to let their ferrets go accoss the border to CA. I think they
were afraid they would get in trouble or something like thing.  We
wanted to adopt but guess we'll have to go to a pet store now.

BTW_  Living in CA and owning ferrets sucks!  If you think that people
are misinformed where you live try bringing your ferrets to CA where
every single person who comes over to your house says, "oh a ferret!
Those are illegal you know."  No #@%*!  I didn't realize that when I
had to drive to Nevada to buy one.  And then in their infinite wisdom
they tell you why they are illegal,  "Ya, ya' know they crawl into
peoples houses at night and carry off babies and drink their blood in
the moonlight."  Or some other incredibly fanciful tale.  I have crack
dealers coming up to me in the street saying, "Hey I heard you have a
ferret, you know those are illegal."  The last part isn't an
exageration!  Well, enough venting of our frustrations...

One final question.  I've read a few times about ferrets not having
the same hearing range as humans. I've also read about someones deaf
ferret.    Our ferret pays us little mind unless we make high pitched
and very loud sounds.  We get no response at all when we speak in
normal tones or at a normal volumes.  Several people wrote about how
they believe their ferrets can understand the english language.  I
can't even comprehend this when my ferret won't even acknowledge my
voice at all.  Could my ferret be hearing impaired? Is this common?

-Vivian, Mike, and Cupid <two humans and a ferret in Calif.

  (I hope the FED's have more to do than chase down every Vivian and
   Mike in California.)

[It ain't the FEDs.  It's the state guys.]