From:
Jeff Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1992 08:35:11 -0500
> Date:  Wed, 4 Mar 1992 16:22:01 -0500
> From:  "Brian K. Dore'" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> He was WONDERFUL.  I underestimated the attention he would get.  I'd bet
> at least 500 people felt the need to pet him, mostly kids.  Reactions
> ranged from extreme fear (wouldn't come near us) to hugs and kisses that
> left lipstick on his nose!  I couldn't walk 10 feet without cries of
> "look a ferret" from people.  [.....]

Mojo loves it when he's outside in a crowd (and, even if there's not
a crowd, he seems to draw one ;^).  I think this is one of the best ways
to educate people that ferrets do make good pets.  We always put on his harness
when we're going outdoors, for the same reasons that Brian did; basically
we don't want him to get loose, and I think all of us know what escape
artists these critters are.  Kids are drawn to Mojo, and he's really good
with them, even when they nearly crush him when they give him a hug
(poor guy; yes, we always explain to the children how to properly
hold him, and we rescue him when the going gets too tough ;-).

Even most parents can be persuaded to say Hi to the little guy, and
give him a scratch behind the ears.

> out' on the passenger seat, legs in the air tired.   Once home, he crawled
> on the couch next to me and curled up to sleep.  Next weekend I think we
> will try a visit to the park. :^)
>
> [Just watch out for big dogs...]

But Chris, Mojo *likes* big dogs; they're usually afraid of *him* ;^).
Seriously though, you do have to be careful when large dogs are
around.  I've found that if you are holding the ferret, a big dog
will not act like the ferret's a plaything; if you let them touch
noses to get to know each other, the dog will accept the ferret as
another animal (if the dog is a reasonable creature).  We haven't had
any trouble with the dogs in our neighborhood.

[Lucky.  Whilst in a vet's office, a mastiff practically tore his
owner's arm off.]

PS: Congratulations, Tigger!

--
Jeff Jones    uunet!virtech!jcj