From:
Leonard Bottleman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1993 20:44:36 -0400
Our local zoo has a new female ferret, and she has come into heat at
the young age of 5 months (her vulva has swollen to huge proportions).
The zoo-keeper in charge of the ferrets insists that it would be best
to "let her go through her first heat" before spaying her, because she
is so young.  She's certain it won't cause any problems or pose any risks
for the ferret.  This ferret will NOT be bred, ever.

I've read the exact opposite in Wendy Winsted's book, and in the more
recent book by Chuck and Fox Morton, but none of these authors are
vets, so these books carry no weight what-so-ever at the zoo.

The zoo vet is not very familiar with ferrets, and does not keep up with
ferret care (the ferret's are not exotics, so they are out of his area
of interest).

Can ANYONE give me a reference by a vet or RECOGNIZED ferret expert
or organization that will explain why a female ferret should not
be left in heat (without breeding her)?

I need something in writing!

I hope I get more responses than the "ferrets & cedar chips" request I
posted earlier ;-).

Leonard Bottleman       [log in to unmask]