From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1993 10:08:58 -0400
In issue 517, Geri Weitzman <[log in to unmask]> says:

>You can now get a license to own and breed ferrets in NYC...

I think that's a mixed message...this is what I understand - maybe Jeb
Weisman will bring us more up to date:

Used to be that the state would not mail out licenses to people in NYC.
You'd send in your check (which was rumored to be cashed), but you'd never
get the license.  No really big surprise since the application form used
to say that licenses would not be issued to NYC residents.

Now the state's attitude is that it *will* issue licenses to NYC residents,
BUT, that doesn't make them legal.  The statement about prohibition in NYC
has been changed to say that ferrets may not be legal in all areas and it
is your responsibility to check your local laws.  In other words, the state
gets its $10 from NYC residents now, but this isn't a statement that they
are condoning it - it is *your* responsibility to determine legality.

Of course, the more paranoid among us might view this as an excellent way
to keep track of ferret owners in NYC - encourage them to tell the state
who they are.  If NYC wants to followup (either to try to prosecute or to
make it legal and collect a license fee of their own) they will have a
a much easier time finding those people now.

On the other hand, there was a "ferret frolic" in NYC's Central Park a
few weeks ago.  Lots of people showed up with ferrets and there were no
incidents (perhaps to the disappointment of the organizers who allegedly
would have preferred the extra publicity of people getting arrested?).
So, certainly, looks like NYC is yawning a bit.  There was media coverage
as well, so I'd have to say it was a big success (though this is all second
hand info).

Bill