From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1993 20:27:11 -0500
** ATTENTION ** ATTENTION ** ATTENTION **

Tentative Medical Alert

Details are sketchy at this time, but apparently there is a virus/whatever
going around that's pretty nasty and several ferrets (exactly how many???)
have already died.  (in PA & MD, I believe)

Symptoms are extremely liquid *green* diarrhea, dehydration, reduced fluid
intake, and vomiting.  And, apparently if not acted upon immediately, the
ferret doesn't stand much of a chance.  As it was put to me "it goes
to the liver very quickly and the ferret dies".

I don't have a name for you.  It sounds a lot like camphylobacter to me,
but I don't think that is a particularly nasty thing in ferrets over
6 months, so that's probably not it.

My souce says that they are going to try and get some information from
Dr. Kawasaki, so if you do have a ferret showing these symptoms have
your vet call him at:

Dr. Thomas Kawasaki
Old Bridge Veterinary Hospital
3604 Old Bridge Rd.
Woodbridge, VA  22192
703-494-0094

But, since he's most likely going to be very busy with this, try to only
call him if it's an emergency.  If you just want to find out what's going on,
I'll try to find out more or contact me and I'll give you phone numbers.

Nancy Hartman
(215) 255-4436
Tues. evening after around 5:00 try me at (215) 255-4752 if I'm not at home.

Oh, I almost forgot one important piece of information, my source mentioned
Clavymox as a potential treatment.  She's not sure though.

That's all I know.  I'll try to keep you posted as I find out more.

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
          Owner of Percy, Bree, & Popcorn, the ferrets