From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1993 07:46:30 -0500
To Effie Marie concerning various subjects -

        The signs that you described in Oshi (alternating normal and vaery small
feces, occasional vomiting, low weight, are signs that we saw last year in one
of our ferrets who did have an intestinal blockage and required surgery to
correct it.  The blockage eventually became life-threatenng - he has always had
a penchant for eating plastic, and this time it finally balled up in his
intestine and stopped him up.

        While those signs are not "diagnostic" for a blockage, I would suggest
tohave her checked out by your vet and to see what he/she thinksalong these
lines.  A barium study should show if there is a blockage, but your vet needs to
be somewhat familiar with this type of study in ferrets.

        Concerning lotion:  No lotion is not harmful to animals, although it may
give them loose stools.  Dogs and cats love lotion too.  Lets just keep it in
moderation (the occasional "stolen" lick won't hurt"...

To Mark Ouilette concerning raisins -

        We have seen problems in ferrets as a result of too many raisins - they
can cause diarrhea or constipation due to the high fiber content.  One or two a
day per animal is probably the best "dosage" for raisins.

        One another notre - many people believe that the process of drying the
raisins concentrates any insecticides or preservatives that they may contain.
Although I am not entirely sure of this theory - my wife and I have stopped
giving raisins and instead give grapes - (peeled, as the skin is generally
passed intact, otherwise).  Our ferrets like them just as much.

To Mike and Erica concerning Buttercup -

        A persistently swollen vulva following adrenal surgery and the failure
to regrow hair strongly suggests a hyperfunctional remaining adrenal gland,
although there is a small possibility that some residual ovarian tissue remains
(however, we don't generally see hair loss with functional ovarian tissue).

        The options here are limited.  Tom Kawasaki has performed partial
adrenalectomy on animals with one remaining adrenal, although I'm not sure of
his results - you can call him and see, though.  Medical treatment of
hyperfunctional adrenals has not been very helpful, at least to my knwoledge.
And ferrets require one adrenal gland to live.

        Give Tom a call.  If you need his number, E-mail me.

Bruce Williams, DVM
[log in to unmask]  202-576-2454