From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1993 23:44:50 -0500
Well, while I'm at it, I may as well throw in a quickie post of my own.
Haven't posted anything for a long time... don't have too much time right
this minute either, but be assured that ferrets are still very important
to me!

Anyhow, I let the critters run free.  They've already gotten into everything
they're gonna get into and I think they really, REALLY appreciate having the
run of the house.  Of course, I always have to be alert for new things that
might hurt them, but it's all second-nature by now.  And it's fun to have
them run to the door and greet me when I come home. (Actually, they aren't
*really* greeting me, they are trying to get out the door and into the foyer
because they think doing so is a great game and ticks me off.  They're right,
of course).

It's been almost 11 months since Slink had her esophagus accidentally cut
by a veterinarian.   She's pretty stable now - she still has considerable
breathing problems due to food occasionally getting into her lungs (every
time she eats or drinks it seems a wee bit goes down "the wrong way"), but
she is quite happy and rambunctious.  A bit weaker than pre-accident, but
EVERY BIT as much the devil.  Also significant is that she now weighs just
what she weighed before this whole mess started.

BB is fine, though I get the impression he is losing his hearing.  Someone
once mentioned that silver ferrets with mitts and white coloration on the
top of the head were prone to hearing loss - that describes BB exactly, so
perhaps there is some truth to this.  He never really listened to me unless
he wanted to anyhow :-)

Re bedding for ferrets of wood chips/shavings: I agree it is probably not
the best thing - at least with certain types of wood such as cedar.  I'm
not convinced it matters with some types of wood, but would rather not
chance it.  On the other hand, it's not something that'll kill your ferret
in seconds either - so my usual advice with these things holds: don't panic!
(But don't encourage it either.)

One last bit of news - the file server at CUNYVM which sends out archives
of the FML sent out its 2000th file yesterday!  I'm glad it is being used.

Well, perhaps will follow up on other things some other time.  Welcome to
all the new subscribers and hello to old friends.

Bill Gruber
City University of New York Computer Center