From:
donna weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2014 16:02:51 -0500
1999. Went into a pet store for fish food. There was an aquarium - type
container with one lonely, but beautiful, panda female kit for sale. I
had had virtually NO experience or knowledge of these special creatures
that God created just for us to love and to laugh over.

I had had a glimpse of one about 7 years earlier, a friend of a friend,
and that ferret was curled up in a dark corner, not really an
encounter. Never even got a good look at it. I was clueless.

So, here's this beautiful little Panda. I picked her up and we hugged
a long time. She was very gentle and loving. I had no idea of anything
concerning ferrets, no business buying on impulse, and, so, reluctantly
put her back into the enclosure. She stood up on her hind legs and
looked at me as I walked off. I kept turning around and she never
stopped watching me as I walked out of her sight, "Take me home and
love me, please."

I bought a ferret book there and went home to do in-depth research on
ferrets, with the book and the internet. I couldn't get her out of my
mind. I went back a week later, cash in hand. I had to have her! The
pet store said she had been sold just a few hours before and I was
heartbroken.

They said the home store had just gotten in a new shipment and sent
me there. There were 35 sables and one tiny female albino. All in one
container.

I zeroed in on the albino, didn't consider another. I carried her
around a long time as I used my newfound knowledge to buy a cage,
food, and supplies.

This was back before regulations of not selling before 8 weeks.
Gretchen was so tiny that she fit in one-half of the palm of my small
hand. She couldn't walk on the carpeting without falling over. She
was only 4 or 5 weeks old. Christmas rush to get them in stores.

So the albino Gretchen came home with me. She was later joined by
others and left me at the age of 7.5, a MF victim of adrenal,
insulinoma, and congestive heart failure.

So Gretchie was my first and I will always love her dearly and can't
wait to see her again. Many memories and much love and tons of fun.
Lots of true stories of her amazingly - high IQ. Gretchie got me hooked
on ferrets for life.

Still, I will never forget that little Panda I missed by mere hours.
The way she looked at me as I walked off to do research, the way she
begged me to bring her home. I still think of her and pray she went to
a good and loving home, to a forever home. If I could do it over, I
would have gotten both of them.