From:
Marsha Stanek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 21:27:57 -0500
My son brought home a ferret from a friend of his who claimed that it
was a biter, probably 17 years ago.. Never bit us!! Anyway, my first
reaction was, "No way I will bond with that demented creature." Krittur
was racing around the house doing the weasel war dance. My husband just
loved the little guy, and of course, I grew to love him too.

Unfortunately, we didn't know that much about ferrets - fed him
crappy cat food - gave him the run of the house. One day, he was very
lethargic - I rushed him to the vet. The vet didn't really know much
about ferrets, and Krittur died. In retrospect. I am sure he had
lymphoma. My husband said - no more ferrets - too painful to lose
them. However, one of our sons bought Noodles for Christmas (our
only pet store ferret).

I found the FML - and discovered that a ferret rescue was moving to
Wisconsin - Kathy and Barry Fritz, and the Ferret Nook. I signed up to
be a volunteer - and would have to say that was probably 50-60 ferrets
ago. Obviously, we have had our hearts broken over and over - but they
bring so much joy to our lives. I usually have 8-12 at one time, almost
all of them adopted from the Ferret Nook, many of the ferrets quite
old when they came to live with us. Now we have three rooms downstairs
devoted to them. Thanks to the FML and Kathy from the Nook, we now know
the proper way to care for them. I can't imagine life without ferrets
(and dogs and cats!!).

Marsha Stanek