From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2014 15:19:05 -0400
Good Morning.

After some thorough investigation to ensure the safety and well-being
of the Prairie Dogs and decision-making on the part of the owners, I am
happy to report that the pair will be re homed to a privately-owned zoo
in Tennessee. This was at the suggestion of a friend in rescue here in
the mid-south.

As mentioned in my post, I was offering to "take them in" only on a
temporary basis until a permanent safe haven was found for them as I
did not want them "released back into the wild" or taken to the Feds,
both probably would have resulted in an untimely death for the homeless
pair. I really have my hands quite full with the ferrets and assorted
cats in my care and custody.

Of course, I know PD are prey and ferrets are their predators....I have
had rats, miceys, and other "tiny" pets in my shelter in times past and
all were re homed without incident. Although, I doubt my very, very
domesticated (and somewhat lazy) ferrets would really know that their
"wilder" cousins kill and eat Prairie Dogs. Curiosity, maybe. But,
leaving nothing to chance, the species would have been safely housed
and confined separate from one another.

Many, many years ago, I agreed to "take in" a pair of absolutely
gorgeous minks - a beautiful black-as-black-can-be female and a male
that looked like a Dalmatian. Willow and Andre' respectively. Remember
Mary Van Damm!? Well, she put me in touch with a retired Federal Judge
who had a sanctuary for minks in Michigan. I will always remember
Andre'...he allowed me to pet him every morning as long as I had a
can of Fancy Feast to give back as a reward! Willow was not going to
have anyone touch her most awesome head. Both bit very hard -- thank
goodness for welder's gloves that went all the way to the elbow.

Thank you all for the references! I will keep that information at hand
should the situation arise again. Hope not! But, it's nice to know
these kids also have a safe place to land when being given up by their
owners who succumb to impulse buying at exotic animal shows.

Frankly, I prefer to just stick with ferrets.....thank goodness for a
great ending for these kids.

Hugs.

Maren Qualls
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary
Hernando, MS