From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2014 13:28:16 -0400
Last night she managed a bit of a small poof but it also smelled of
pus. I was surprised that I could tell the difference but then I did
the math. Pivot is some who has always poofed a LOT for anything
exciting (good, bad, or startling) as well as while dreaming, and she
is in her sixth year (and otherwise wonderfully healthy) so before she
had her anal glands block about a month ago we probably had already
smelled her poofs something approaching 7,000 times. So, it is no
wonder we could tell the difference from her musk alone or her musk
mixed with pus.

Today when I took her out for her antibiotics I smelled some musk on
her head, and happily called for Steve. Making a fuss over her combined
with her realization that it was time for her Baytril and meat baby
food caused her to poof, and the result was small but pretty much a
normal scent.

Yes, she and we celebrated.

The type of antibiotic resistant bacterium she has had causing the
impaction can be very recalcitrant so she will continue on Baytril
every 12 hours for at least three more weeks.

So, having the vet do a gland expression, flushing, culture and
challenge, and doing her antibiotics and compresses have really
begun to pay off for her. Maybe she will avoid surgery.