From:
Brenda Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2013 14:12:28 -0400
Sarah Senior Reporter
Daisy Cub Reporter
August 2013

Sarah here: Ooooohhhh Weeeee somebody needs to stop the world so we
can get off! Summer is just whizzing by! Me and Daisy can not keep up
with all that is going on around here! Our ears are ringing and eyes
are crossing just trying to keep up with what needs to be reported.

Daisy here: Oh PA-leeeaaassse! Sara you are such a drama queen! It has
not been any busier here at the shelter than any other time the only
difference is Snowy Bowie's far away mom Miss Lauri came to visit us in
July from MN. Snowy got to spend time with his far away mom for a whole
week. Miss Brie picked Miss Lauri up at the Rochester airport; Mum took
her back to the Rochester airport a week later. Just like I get to do
each month when my far away mom Marcia comes to help and hang out with
me. My far away mom and Miss Lauri were here at the same time so they
got to meet each other. They both helped Mum get some things done Miss
Lauri mixed food for us, and my far away mom cleaned up and replenished
food and water stations in all the play areas.

Sarah here: << said with a pout >>
Daisy you are so mean to me! Why can't you be nice? I am going to
tell some news and ignore you! Mum has been really busy because it
is summertime there are a lot of humans that want to surrender their
ferrets to Mum. We are filled to the gills so Mum has had to do some
creative maneuvering.

Mum got two calls from two different animal control folks any fur kids
that come from animal control get to come to the shelter no matter
what! Mum makes room but at the time we got the calls we had room for
both sets of fur girls. There is Darby and Lucy and Thelma and Louise.
Miss Marcia picked up and delivered the fur kids from the Oswego animal
control people, they met Daisy's far away mom in Syracuse to hand them
over to us. Mum was told they have been brought to them for a second
time and the girls have been passed around to many homes so they are
here with us. Thelma and Louise will stay unless they pick a family to
love, we fur kids get to pick the humans not the other way around. Mum
says they have paid their dues they get to have a stable home with
lots of food, warm blankies and tons of love from all our shelter
volunteers. Miss Marcia named them because they got to animal control
with no names.

The other two girls came from Ontario County AC they are doing well
settling in.

Miss Jackie took Darby and Lucy to Doc for check ups and shots Darby
got an implant because she was bare naked when she got here. She is
getting fur now. When they got here they weighed 1# 9 oz and 1# 6 oz
they were SKINNY! Mum has them fattened up; they are both pushing 2#
although Mum says some of that may be the winter weight like some of
us are already getting. Mum calls Lucy a chunky monkey. Mum named them
because they did not have names when they got to animal control. Miss
Jackie took Sho to OFD for an X-Ray on his leg, doc needed to see if
the bone was all better and if so OFD was taking the metal pin out of
his leg. Miss Jackie and Mr Bob took him, stayed with him, doc got the
pin out and then they brought him home to Mum.

Mum got word that 2 fur kids were in need of a home from Long Island
we were full by then so Mum got in touch with Mr Pete and Miss Lisa to
see if they could take these two fur kids in. Just as always Mr Pete
and Miss Lisa came though for Mum and took Bear and Milo in

Another request came in from Spring Farm Cares that a ferret had been
found out running around and needed to come to Naples. Once again Mum
contacted a shelter friend Miss Wendy and asked her if she could help
with this little one. Miss Wendy got in touch with Miss Joanne and told
her she would pick the little guy up Parker is living with Miss Wendy.
http://www.ferretfarm.org/ferrets_helped/Parker/Parker.html

Once again a family in need of finding a place for their fur kids a
business of 5 contacted Mum to see if we could take them. We were still
full, so Mum asked the family if she could work it out; once their
family crisis was over would they consider taking their fur kids back?
The family was thrilled to hear there may be a way to keep their fur
kids so Mum reached out to Miss Stephanie and Mr Tom to see if they
would foster these kids until the family got back on their feet. Both
Tom and Stephanie agreed to help Mum help this family. WOW Mum sure did
do some creative maneuvering to get all these fur kids a place to go

Daisy here: Hey! Hey! Hey are you going to leave some news for me to
report?

Miss Tori came to meet Snowy's far away mom Miss Lauri, Miss Stacie
dropped in so she got to meet her too. Miss Stacie brought Mum food
out of her garden, Mum loves fresh veggies. She makes one mean veggie
casserole Miss Lauri was surprised at how good it was. Miss Stacie
helped Mum get a new AC unit put into one of the play area windows,
anonymous giver to us fur kids. Miss Tori and Mum got all the stacks
of papers Miss Donna Z brought into the shelter.

Miss Donna Z brought them when Mum was not home so she put them in the
garage Mum and Miss Tori got them onto the porch we use to hang out on
then from there they got them into the shelter. (It was too hot to use
and watch the stars anyway). Oh man you need to see the story that Miss
Mary Ellen wrote about the stars
<http://lffrs.freeforums.org/a-night-under-the-stars-by-mary-ellen-byrne-t216.html>

Miss Ili and Miss Donna D have been here to help. Miss Donna D on the
outside Miss Ili on the inside, we have a new shelter friend Mr Paul
he comes with Miss Donna D to help keep our property looking awesome.

Milo went to Rainbow Bridge Mum found him gone when she got home from
work one afternoon, she thought she was going to have to take Big Foot
(DMK) to have our favorite doc (OFD) to help him cross to Rainbow
Bridge in the morning but when she got him up in the morning he was
bright eyed and ready to get up for soup so Mum says she has no idea
what was up with him the night before but what ever it was it passed.
Mum was doing the happy dance for sure!

Sarah here: Mum took Miss Lauri over to meet Miss Jackie and Mr Bob
they live on Honeoye Lake so the 4 of them sat next to the lake to
visit, 2 ducks came up to where they were sitting Mum found out that
Miss Jackie has made friends with them Miss Jackie has named them Fred
and Ethel they will eat right out of her hands, Mum wanted to try too
do that too Ethel took food out of Mum's hands.

Miss Iliana was here to help catch us up then she helped hold Sho
so Mum could get the 2 stitches out of the bottom of his foot. He
is done with his broken leg and invasive surgeries.

Miss Patty was asking Mum questions about deaf ferrets, when Mum
explained to Miss Patty how to tell if her new boy was deaf it dawned
on Mum that Spike might very well be deaf. Spike is always the last to
wake up when Mum is getting them up, he is always the last to come out
of where they were sleeping, and usually Mum must wake him. Spike is
the one that generally gets left behind and ends up MIA. Spike being
deaf is a good explanation to why Mum has trouble finding him when she
needs to.

Mum could not find Fred one morning, she found him in the cupboard. He
must have crawled in there when Mum was putting dishes away when she
went looking for him she remembered she had the cupboard open, sure
enough he was sleeping in the colander he looked at Mum as if to say
about time you got me out of here!

Daisy here: Me and Sarah want say hats off to Miss Sheilla for keeping
our Facebook page going
https://www.facebook.com/LakeroadFerretFarm
Miss Tori for keeping our web site going
http://www.ferretfarm.org/
she is doing some pretty cool things with that lately, Miss Priscilla
for keeping our Petfinder page going
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NY559.html
Miss Brie for keeping our forum page going
http://lffrs.freeforums.org/
these ladies keep our shelter friends up on what is going on around
here; things like new kids coming in, kids going to new 4-ever homes
and kids going to rainbow bridge. Mum says there is no way she would
be able to take care of that stuff and take care of us too so thank
you ladies for keeping those sites going so Mum can give us the 100%
attention we so richly deserve.

Mum and Miss Ili set up at Petco in Canandaigua for an education day on
July 13 http://www.ferretfarm.org/Outreach.html
they took Fred, George and Darien. Mum and Miss Ili are going to set up
at Tractor Supply in Canandaigua on August 17th, we have been invited
to go to the Petco in Mattydale NY but that has not been scheduled yet.
We have our Christmas in October 12th and open house for National
Shelter week on November 9th

We have had campers in and out all summer Miss Susann T. brought her
fur kids; Mr. Julio T. brought his fur kid and Miss Janette brought
Stitch!

There are two more families bring their fur kids to camp this week. The
Principe fur kids (former shelter kids) and the Denk fur kid (a kid Mum
helped to find a new 4-ever home)

Miss Sue B. has our interview graphic done, Miss Tori has the page up
and running me and Sarah have done some interviews and will continue
to ask you humans out there that help Mum take care of us to allow us
to interview you. If you have not been asked don't get your tail in a
bunch we will get to you! Mum is allowing us to do one interview a
month.
http://www.ferretfarm.org/Interviews.html

Sara Here: Mum, Miss Brie, Miss Tori and Miss Ili all went to Brockport
to do a home visit for Hammy and Pickles, Mum is trying to train our
volunteers around the state to be able to do home visits for her so
she does not need to take time away from us. They got to see how Mum
does it; Mum gets on the floor to see things from our perspective, the
things she finds that we could get into. When they got done we were
pretty sure the mom was not so sure ferrets were going to work out in
her home. She had that look of 2 dogs, 2 furless kids a full time job
now 2 ferrets? Mum calls it the "not in my life time look" Chip road up
with Mum to Brockport so Miss Tori could take him home with her, she
adopted him.

Oh boy did the 4 Rochester boys give Mum a start! Mum had put them in
the play room for their out time; they were running wild up and down
the tubes to the top of the cages where Mum built the safety boxes for
sleeping. Mum did not pay much attention to them until she came into
the room from the other play area and looked up.

There were 3 of the 4 on top of the highest cage in the coroplast box
they were jumping so that they looked like popping pop corn. Mum stood
stock still holding her breath because they were jumping so high she
thought they were going to jump over the 4" ledge she put up to keep
them from falling out. Each time they jumped they got closer to that
ledge. Once they got a glimpse of Mum standing there they came bounding
down the tube to meet her on the floor. Mum immediately took them to
the dining room. Mum thought for sure she was going to have a kid or
kids with broken backs.

Okay Daisy we have all the notes Mum left for us covered, Mr BIG may
have to hold this news up from the FML for a day or two because it
is so long. We had a lot of news to tell this month. When you can
Mr BIG - thanks!

So for this month enjoy the rest of your summer

Sarah and Daisy