From:
Debbie Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 06:55:37 -0400
I was working in the IT department of the public school district in
2002 and one of my male co-workers was married to a Veterinarian. She
called her hubby one Thursday asking if he knew of anyone in our shop
would be interested in two free ferrets. I have since come to
understand that there is no such thing as a ‘free' ferret once you
start adding up all the associated maintenance costs, but that was a
lesson learned. I'd always been fascinated with ferrets but never knew
anyone that had one but am an animal lover, so I raised my hand. Then
dropped my hand. Then raised my hand. Then dropped my hand. Then slowly
raised it again, leaving it up this time. I could hear Robert behind
me relaying this process to his wife, giggling the entire time.

The owner had called all over our area looking to rehome her furkids,
only finding the closest ferret shelter was in VA Beach. She wasn't
able to drive to the coast so was at her wits end thus the calls to
area Veterinarians. I was given her contact info and called her. She
was thankful that someone local was able to take them. We arranged to
meet in the parking lot of the local civic center after I got off of
work.

She met me as we had planned & introduced ourselves. She seemed
relieved & sad & fretful. I opened up the back of my Explorer, she the
back of her Bronco & we transferred the cage containing the two furry
playmates. They seemed very well cared for. She even had the original
paperwork from the purchases. Nope, no vet records. I did learn quickly
afterwards the proper care for them after taking them to see the
Veterinarian that aided in my new ownership.

The following day there was a shooting in the parking lot of the
Advance Auto administrative offices. No names were announced but a
woman employee shot her boss twice then turned the gun on herself,
fatally. The following Tuesday I was getting ready for work when
the news came on & the name of the shooter was released. I dropped
my coffee cup and ran for the folder the lady had given me.

It was her.

I don't know what her story was & why she took the road she did but
I had to learn why she *had* to find a home for her beloved ferrets
before she went down that final path. I've been on this wonderful
ferret orbit ever since. And I get it. I know why ferrets are the
best companion pet ever. They just are!

I hope she knows how much I'm saddened that she felt there was only
one direction for her. Yet I'm grateful to her for introducing me to
our beloved ferrets. I hope she has found peace.

Respectfully,
Debbie Saunders
Director, Big Lick Ferret Shelter & Hospice
Roanoke, VA

"I'm not suffering from Alzheimer's, I have ferrets..."
D. Saunders

http://www.biglickferretshelter.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/blfsh/

http://www.starcityferrets.mysite.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/starcityferretclub/

http://weaselwares.weebly.com/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weasel-Wares/154576534601624

"If you can't afford the Vet, you can't afford the pet."